Wednesday, March 27, 2019

REVIEW: The Gatehouse Haunting

The Gatehouse Haunting
Author: Martyn Chapman

Ella has been ill. In fact she was hospitalized for a lengthy time, and feels weak and even confused most of the time. When her husband suggests a trip to Germany, she jumps at the chance to go. Maybe they can put their failing marriage back together, but Ella feels her husband is having an affair. In fact, he only plans to stay with her for one day, then return to work. She has an entire week alone in a wonderful old gatehouse in a quaint little village. But....she doesn't speak German....and strange things start happening in the old gatehouse. Anton belittles her concern that there is a ghost or something strange occurring, but Ella knows she isn't crazy.

This was an interesting story......a tale of the disintegration of a marriage with a swirl of supernatural elements. I had a rough time liking either of the main characters. Anton is a jerk and a total ass. Ella is weak and whiny. The ghosts saved the day. The weird happenings in the gatehouse kept me reading when I really wanted to abandon both these characters to their fates. The ending was a bit of a surprise, although it did seem a little like a magical fast wipe-up. I loved the little afterward from the author....a bit of a what-happened-next.

All in all, an entertaining fast read. Enjoyable story. Annoying main characters....but they are supposed to be that way. And....in the end...the ghosts carried the day. Yay Spirits! :) I found the story original, and the ending actually did catch me by surprise. So, despite some MC-hate, I'm overall a fan of this story.

There are a few typos and minor editing mistakes in the book....all minor. And it didn't have an effect on my enjoyment of the story.

I would definitely stay in the interesting old gatehouse in the beautiful German village.....ghosts or no ghosts. The spirits would just have to make room for me! Great setting idea!

**I won a copy of this book in a giveaway at Goodreads. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own and not influenced by my winning the book.**


No comments:

Post a Comment