Sunday, September 29, 2019

REVIEW: Christmas Cocoa Murder

Christmas Cocoa Murder
Authors: Carlene O'Connor, Maddie Day & Alex Erickson

I love holiday theme cozy novella collections! I read every one I can get my hands on. Not only are they cute, quick holiday theme stories, but it's a great way to find new authors/series to add to my tbr!

Christmas Cocoa Murder gathers 3 Christmas theme stories from different popular series. One series I have never read before, and the other two I've read one or two of the books. I'm definitely moving all 3 series up my tbr stack because I enjoyed this entire book!

This collection includes:

Christmas Cocoa Murder - This novella is set in Carlene O'Connor's Irish Village Mystery series. Main character Siobhan plans a quiet Christmas with her siblings, but someone kills santa in a dunk tank filled with cocoa. She's on the case to find out why someone murdered the eccentric man playing santa claus.

I have never read any of the books in the Irish Village Mystery series. I enjoyed Siobhan as a main character. Intelligent, funny and witty....just an enjoyable character! I like the setting as well. The mystery was solid and kept my attention. There are 4 books in this series with a fifth, Murder in an Irish Cottage, coming out in February 2020. I will definitely be reading this series!

Christmas Cocoa and a Corpse - I have read one book in Maddie Day's Country Store Mystery series. This novella definitely renewed my interest in reading the entire series!

Robbie Jordan gets pulled into a murder case when a local businessman drops dead after drinking her cocoa. Was the cocoa poisoned or did Cocoa the dog (a cute chocolate lab found with the body) have something to do with it? I thought it was really cute that the dog's name was Cocoa. Definitely made me smile. :) Cute way to tie in with the theme of this story collection!

I like Maddie Day's writing style. This was an entertaining story that definitely makes me want to read this entire series. I'm not sure why I never read more than one -- probably just a matter of my ponderous TBR pile. I will definitely be reading more of this series.

The Country Store Mystery series has six books so far, with a seventh, Nacho Average Murder, coming out in July 2020.

Death By Hot Cocoa - I have read a couple books in the Bookstore Cafe Mystery series by Alex Erickson and enjoyed them. So I happily read this novella! Krissy Hancock and her bestie are excited about trying a local Christmas theme escape room experience. But things get serious when they find the attraction's host dead in a puddle of cocoa. Yikes! Who offed the host and why?? I'm a sucker for locked-room type stories, so this was my favorite story in the collection. And it definitely has me wanting to finish reading this series!

This is a very enjoyable Christmas themed cozy collection. I'm definitely moving all 3 series by these authors up on my to-read list! And even though it isn't even fall yet as I write this, I enjoyed reading Christmas theme stories! Made me crave cocoa and Christmas music!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment