Thursday, September 5, 2019

REVIEW: Survivors of the Holocaust

Survivors of the Holocaust: True Stories of Six Extraordinary Children
Author: Kath Shackleton

This graphic novel tells the stories of six Jewish children who survived the Holocaust during World War II. Some were evacuated to England...others were hidden....and some were sent to concentration camps. Most were separated from their parents and never saw them again. It is amazing what children can survive. They are often stronger and more resilient than adults.

This book is moving and meaningful. The stories are truthful, but not too graphic for children to read. The art is fantastic. Due to the nature of the stories, I do recommend parental guidance for younger children. Death, starvation, internment, separation from family.....the subject matter is dark. But I think it's important that the events never be forgotten.

Although we are not Jewish, several members of my extended family who stayed in Germany when the rest emigrated to America were killed by the Nazis during the war. Most were killed for being Catholics who refused to embrace the Nazi regime. The stories in this book left me thinking about what my own family  members....and millions of others....endured. I can't even imagine how scared they must have been. It made for a very emotional reading experience for me. My children all grew up safe, well fed, loved and protected. A whole generation of children during the war did not. Bombs. Executions. Starvation. Gas chambers. It is important for there to be books like this, because if we don't allow it to be forgotten then maybe it won't happen again.



The artwork is fantastic. The stories emotional and hard-hitting. Wonderful book!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Sourcebooks via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment