Tuesday, September 17, 2019

REVIEW: Hippie Cult Leader

Hippie Cult Leader: The Last Words of Charles Manson
Author: James Buddy Day

I'm a true crime documentary enthusiast. I watch more than my share of DiscoveryID and True Crime YouTube Channels. I listen to true crime podcasts all the time. And, I read many, many related books and websites. Not to mention that my fiction library is mostly mystery novels. Given all of that -- of course I'm going to read a book about Charlie Manson's last interviews before he died in 2017!

Before I even opened this book, I was well aware that most of the interviews/quotes would be in Charlie-speak.  I remember watching the 1988 interview with Geraldo Rivera where Charlie went into some of the strangest rants and bizarre behavior I have ever seen. The man was crazy....totally Bat-S crazy. So, I went into this book with the knowledge that nothing this man said would make any sense.

And I was right.

I'm glad I read this book. I can see the benefit/interest in writing about Manson's last thoughts about his past, the trial, his incarceration, and the murders.....even if everything that popped out of that man's mouth was pure crazy. Kudos to James Buddy Day for managing to write an interesting, coherent book about Manson, despite the man himself making very little sense. Manson's main point: He wasn't present during the murders, stated he didn't directly order the murders, so he wasn't guilty of any crime. Whatever you say, Charlie.

Very informative. This book doesn't pull any punches -- the murders are outlined in detail. Portions of this book are not for the faint of heart. If you can't handle descriptions of what his groupies did, Charlie's truth and strange rants....then pass this one by. It gets down to the dirt....or maybe blood is a better word in this case.

I enjoyed this book. I would definitely read more by this author. But I think I will pass on more Charlie rants.....this book outlines his last interviews. So....it's a good place to stop giving the man any space in my head. Bye, Charlie. Can't say I'm glad you are gone.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Optimum Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.** 

No comments:

Post a Comment