Saturday, September 21, 2019

REVIEW: Echoes

Echoes
Authors: Various
Editor: Ellen Datlow

I love ghost stories! One of my favorite fall pastimes is to sit out on my porch after sunset and read ghostly tales on my ipad for awhile. The woods across the street and quietness of our neighborhood just lend a great atmosphere to a bit of horror. Even though it isn't quite fall yet, I pushed the season this year and started my porch reading early. Cup of coffee. Neighbor's cat. Awesome book of ghost stories. Perfect!

Ellen Datlow collected 30 stories for Echoes. This collection of stories is varied and outstanding! Some of the author's names I recognized (Joyce Carol Oates, Alice Hoffman) and others were new to me (John Langan, A.C. Wise). I'm not going to include a long list of all the writers who contributed to the anthology. But I will say that there was not a single story that I didn't enjoy. I savored this collection, only reading one or two stories a night. And I'm buying a copy for my keeper shelf. I will enjoy re-reading this anthology! My favorite? The Tree of Self-Knowledge by Stephen Graham Jones. But all the stores are good!

This is the first story collection edited by Datlow that I've read. I'm so glad I did because not only were the stories good....but I have significantly added to my TBR list! Datlow has edited so many story collections (and my library offers many of them on its digital site!) that I will be kept in awesome short fantasy, science fiction, and horror for a long time! Woot!!

Awesome collection! Full stars from me! :)

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this story anthology from Saga Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment