Sunday, September 15, 2019

REVIEW: The Hollow Kingdom

The Hollow Kingdom
Author: Kira Jane Buxton

What an incredibly creative and bizarre take on the zombie apocalypse! I'm not going to beat around the bush -- I love this book!

S.T. (short for shit turd) is a happy domesticated crow. The world has his human, Big Jim, all the cheetos he can eat, and a great dog named Dennis for him to annoy. His life is perfect. Until.....

Big Jim's eyeball falls out. And he starts acting strange. Then ALL the people start acting strange. Even a quick fly to CVS for things to help isn't enough to fix the problem at home.....so good ol' S.T. hits the road with his pal, Dennis, to find out what's going on. What's left for a crow who really liked being a pet and for his hound dog sidekick once human beings are gone? What comes after? And....are there still cheetos?

All right -- before I get much further -- this book has cussing. Be aware and pass it by if this bothers you. This is not a book for kids....it's for adults who want a fun romp through the zombified end of humanity and the aftermath. If you are ok with humans being referred to as MoFos, a crow named Shit Turd, and some F-bombs and other various colorful metaphors....then pick up this book and enjoy zombies from a bird's eye view.

My favorite character in the entire book (despite only being in a couple pages) is Genghis Cat. I laughed so hard I snorted. :)

So funny, creative and totally entertaining. Any book that makes me snort....and laugh....and read passages to my husband....gets full stars from me. I will definitely read more by this author! :)

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Grand Central Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment