Wednesday, September 4, 2019

REVIEW: The Time For Murder is Meow

The Time for Murder is Meow
Author: T.C. LoTempio

Chishell McMillan moves from LA to Connecticut after her elderly aunt dies and leaves her a house and pet store. Chishell (or Shell for short) leaves behind an acting career and a failed love affair. Her fiance cheated on her with a scipt girl, creating all sorts of celebrity gossip. That's when she knew she needed to exit stage left and change her life. Connecticut, a small town, and running a pet store sounded perfect. She arrives in town just in time to have an altercation with the town's cantankerous, controlling old biddy. As if that isn't bad enough, she then discovers a dead body and is a suspect in a murder case. An old friend from her old life comes in to help her investigate before she's behind bars for a murder she didn't commit.

I loved the two Cat Rescue series books I read by T.C. LoTempio so jumped right on this new series. But I never really connected with Shell. I liked her friend and acting partner Gary better. Not sure why exactly. I just didn't "click'' with Shell.  At one point she threatens to "press charges'' about a situation that isn't really that big of a deal and not really something that really warrants a formal complaint. It felt like a bit of a contrived plot point to create animosity between two characters so that the plot could continue.....didn't really gel with me. I was like "File charges with who? And for what?" Just didn't work for me.

All in all, I liked the story. It just wasn't a "wow'' for me. The mystery followed the usual cozy formula...girl inherits property, moves to a new town, sees sexy cop, finds dead body, girl is suspect and investigates, etc etc etc. I've read many, many similar cozies. I did like the premise of a known actor being the main character. The cats were a plus -- love them both! And I like the quirky side characters. So, I liked it....didn't love it. I will definitely be reading the next book to see if with a little character development I might feel more on board with Shell.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Midnight Ink via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment