Monday, August 10, 2020

REVIEW: The Apocalypse Strain

The Apocalypse Strain
Author: Jason Parent

I have to admit that I was hesitant to read this book, given the current situation. But I took a deep breath and jumped into this story by Jason Parent. I was pleasantly surprised....and totally sucked into this story from the start. This book is NOT about a pandemic.....it's about scientists who discover a new type of virus. Not only is it dangerous.....it's seemingly sentient. And it does not want to be contained.....

I think the best part of this story is the characters and their reactions to the situation. Some want the notoriety of publishing the first papers on a new virus....others are curious....some scared....and at least one is murderous. Different motivations. Difficult decisions. Deadly intentions. When faced with a virus that could end life on the planet, rough decisions would have to be made. 

I'm not going to talk much about the plot. This is a story readers have to experience without any spoilers. The one thing I want to stress is that this story is NOT NOT NOT about a pandemic. Don't avoid it like I did. It's more about science....human reactions to crisis....and what would happen if we discovered a virus that's so much more complex than the type that cause influenza or the common cold......or SARS. What if we were facing what could be the end of life for humanity? 

Great story! It definitely kept my attention from start to finish. This is the first book by Jason Parent that I've read. I will definitely be reading more!

**I  voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Flame Tree Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment