Friday, August 7, 2020

REVIEW: The Cabinets of Barnaby Mayne

The Cabinets of Barnaby Mayne
Author: Elsa Hart

This story reads like a classic mystery. The pace is a bit slower....but the story is rich and well worth the wait.  Set in London in 1703, this tale centers around Collectors. Collectors are an elite, wealthy group who pride themselves on collecting bits of science and history, then display cabinets filled with the wonders they have curated. The best collection is owned by Barnaby Mayne.....rare rocks, plant samples, animal bones, archaeological artifacts....if it's odd, intriguing and interesting, Barnaby Mayne has it in his cabinets. His house is a chaotic yet mesmerizing place filled with his treasures....like a strange museum. Cecily Kay comes to the house to study Mayne's collection of rare plant specimens, but ends up investigating the murder of Mayne himself. 

I loved the atmospheric feel of this story. I could imagine myself in Mayne's house surrounded by the things he had collected over years. I could almost feel his pride in The Collection and the envy of the others whose cabinets of wonders just didn't quite match up to Mayne's. Elsa Hart writes a very descriptive story.....I could almost smell the dust and furniture wax. 

This story is slow paced like more classic mysteries. It has an almost Sherlock Holmes feel to it. There are plenty of suspects and sleuthing by two women determined to get at the truth....and some well-done plot twists. Definitely a must-read for those who enjoy classic mystery! This book would make an excellent movie....Mayne's house would be quite visual and engaging!

This is the first book by Elsa Hart that I've read. I will definitely be reading more! I've heard very good things about her Li Du series!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment