Monday, August 3, 2020

REVIEW: The Best of Jules De Grandin

The Best of Jules de Grandin
Author: Seabury Quinn

I love creepy, horrific tales...especially if they are the classic monster/supernatural sort. I had never heard of this author or these supernatural detective stories before reading a review copy of this story collection -- and now I'm totally hooked on these stories! Jules de Grandin was a character made famous in Weird Tales, a 20th century pulp horror fiction magazine. The 20 stories in this collection were published from 1920-1940. 

OMG...I am in love with this author! And I am ashamed that I, as a complete slave to classic horror, had never heard of Seabury Quinn before I read this collection! These stories are varied....de Grandin faces monsters, murderers, cultists, ghosts....all sorts of supernatural foes! 

I took my time and savored this collection one story at a time....and even re-read some of the stories several times. 

Great collection of classic horror. And now I'm collecting all the writing by Seabury Quinn I can get my hands on! 

Very, very happy classic horror fan here! I love it when I find an awesome new-to-me author, even if I'm 100 years late to the party! 

**I voluntarily (and completely happily and joyfully) read a review copy of this story collection from Simon & Schuster. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment