Sunday, January 6, 2019

REVIEW: The Coming Storm

The Coming Storm
Author: Mark Alpert

In 2023, New York City is a dangerous place to be. Superstorms, dangerous floods caused by rising sea levels, and violent squads of soldiers threaten the public daily. Dr Jenna Khan, a geneticist, knows the situation is even more dangerous than most realize. The soldiers are genetically enhanced humans, stronger and more violent than anyone ever imagined. Now the very government that started the experiments into genetic enhancement want to cover it up while they continue their plans to alter humanity. Jenna knows too much. She finds herself on the run. Can she stop the government's plan to forever alter human genetics?

I really wanted to like this book. The book blurb promised a "pulse-pounding'' thriller. But, the story fell flat for me. The plot took a back seat to thinly veiled political commentary. I understand our current political environment is scary....not to mention immigration concerns, hate crimes against muslims and other groups, global warming and a whole host of other problems. I get it. But, I am getting very weary of reading books where authors try to weave current political commentary in with the plot. In this case, it just made this story klunky and trope-y, rather than pulse-pounding or exciting. For me, it killed the story. I never did get "into'' the plot or the characters. I wanted an action-thriller, not a slog through anti-trumpism. Bleck.While I totally understand the sentiments, I'm tired of being hit in the face with it nearly every time I open a book. Trump Trope....I'm over it.

This story disappointed me. But, others might enjoy it. Not every story is for every reader. This one is not for me.

**I voluntarily read an advance readers copy of this book from St Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment