Monday, January 21, 2019

REVIEW: Hark! The Herald Angels Scream

Hark! The Herald Angels Scream
Authors: Various

I had an absolute blast listening to the audio book version of this holiday themed horror anthology! Packed with 18 horrific holiday tales, this collection ranges from humorous to spooky and even snarky. Fun! It was great timing on my part as I was packing away all the holiday decorations, moving furniture and mopping up after the holidays while listening to these stories. Made it more fun!

As with any story collection there were tales I loved, some that were good, and two that I really didn't like. It happens. The stories are varied in tone, length and type of horror....makes the collection appealing to a wide range of readers. My favorite story from the book is Good Deeds by Jeff Strand. There is a particular Christmas song overplayed by radio stations every year that I absolutely hate. Every time I hear the depressing tune about a kid buying his dying mother a pair of shoes, I just roll my eyes and wonder if my ears are going to start bleeding. Ugh. I hate that song! How lovely of Jeff Strand to bring a smile to my face with a horror story based on the fact that EVERYONE pretty much hates that song. It brought joy to my heart and I will think fondly on that story every time I am subjected to The-Holiday-Song-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named. Following a close second for me was Absinthe & Angels by Kelly Armstrong. Totally creepy holiday tale about mummers who appear outside a couple's cabin on Christmas Eve. Loved it!

All in all, this is an enjoyable holiday anthology that doesn't have to be enjoyed during the holidays. These stories are entertaining and could be read at any time of the year.

I listened to the audio book version (Highbridge). At just over 11.5 hours, it took me a couple days to get through all of the stories. Narrated by Teri Schnaubelt and Charles Constant, the audio is high quality and very enjoyable. Both narrators read at a nice pace with great acting skills. A very enjoyable listening experience! This was definitely the perfect audio book to listen to while packing up the tinsel and reindeer!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment