Tuesday, January 8, 2019

REVIEW: The Whole Cat and Cabdoodle

The Whole Cat and Caboodle
Author: Sofie Ryan

This series has been on my TBR pile for a long time. I'm so glad I finally brought it to the top of the stack and started reading!

Sarah Grayson makes a living from finding, refinishing/repurposing and reselling items in her shop, Second Chance. In this first book in the series, she also gives a second chance to a stray cat. She names him Elvis. :) When her elderly friend Maddie doesn't show up for a class she's giving at the local community center, Sarah and Elvis go to check on her. Maddie is fine....but the man sitting at her patio table is not. He's dead. And not from natural causes. Maddie is immediately the top suspect in the murder, but turns out her friend was hiding a life of crime and deceit. There are several people who might have wanted to see the cad and trickster dead. Sarah is determined to discover the killer's identity and clear her friend's name.

All in all, a great start to a cozy series! I love Elvis the Cat! Sarah is a great main character. She's intelligent and feisty when necessary. The story has a nice mix of humor and mystery. There were plenty of twists, suspects and investigation to make the story interesting. It kept my attention from start to finish.

I own the physical book, but opted to listen to the audio book version. Narrated by Marguerite Gavin, the audio from Tantor Audio is just over 8 hours. At first I found the narrator's voice a bit too nasal and annoying, but was still able to get invested in the story. Gavin reads at a nice even pace....I just didn't like her voice. I have partial hearing loss, but was still able to hear and understand the entire audio book.

There are five books in this series so far, with a sixth coming out in 2019. Sofie Ryan is a pseudonym for author Darlene Ryan. She also writes cozies under the name Sofie Kelly (Magical Cats series -- one of my favorites!).

No comments:

Post a Comment