Tuesday, January 15, 2019

REVIEW: The Elephant in the Room

The Elephant in the Room:
One Man's Quest to get Smaller in a Growing America
Author: Tommy Tomlinson

Tommy Tomlinson is an acclaimed journalist, a happily married man, middle aged, intelligent, witty....and overweight. The Elephant in the Room is a book about his struggle with weight, heartfelt discussion on how his weight effects his life, thoughts on his writing career, family, and life in general.

This book is a bit like sitting across the dinner table with Tommy Tomlinson and just listening to him talk. He's funny, witty, emotional and serious. He started out at 460 pounds....he faced entering his 50s feeling like the largest person in the room. He laments that he is likely the largest person most people will ever see. So, he decided to do something about it.....

This book doesn't end with a shocking before/after set of pictures with Tommy touting some wonder drug or surgery for his complete success. He admits he is a work in progress, sharing his thoughts and emotions about the journey.

I jumped at the chance to review this book because Tomlinson is from Charlotte, NC...just an hour from where I live. I understand the struggles with trying to lose weight in the south where everything is fried and tea comes to the table with about a cup of sugar in each glass (ugh -- I was born in the Midwest. Sweet tea is about the nastiest concoction on the planet. And even after 15 years in NC, when I ask for unsweet tea, I still get confused looks and then commentary about how weird it is that I don't drink sweet tea. And I won't even start on the comments I get when I pass up grits, pimento cheese spread or liver mush.)

I enjoyed this book. Tomlison is real and open....he's sharing his life, his struggles. The story isn't just for people who are struggling with weight...but anybody who faces a challenge and needs motivation. He doesn't offer some magic fix or spend long chapters talking about how he did it and anybody can. It's all about the journey. And he's making progress!

Proud of you, Tommy! Keep going! :)

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Simon & Schuster via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment