Thursday, January 3, 2019

REVIEW: A Literal Mess

A Literal Mess
Author: J.C. Kenney

A Literal Mess is the first book in the new Allie Cobb Mystery series. In this series debut, Allie returns home to Rushing Creek, IN following the death of her father. Coming back to Indiana after living in New York is a bit of culture shock for her, but Allie is determined to help her mother close out her father's literary agency. Turns out someone else is interested in closing out her dad's former clients. Author Thornwell Winchester is found floating face down in the water under a bridge soon after Allie arrives in town. When her BFF and also the murdered author's daughter is declared a main suspect in the case, Allie is determined to prove that Sloane is innocent. Someone brave enough to be a literary agent in New York can ferret out a killer...right?

I will definitely be reading more of this new series. I like the concept, the literary agency background theme, the characters....it was just a pleasant cozy experience. I read a lot of cozies because they are my go-to for brain palate cleansing in between heavier horror, thriller/suspense or action fiction. I love it when I find a new series that is a bit different from all the other cozies I have read. This is the first cozy series I've read with a literary agent background theme. I like it!

The mystery moves along at a nice pace. Even though this is the first book in a new series, the plot isn't slowed down by too much character introduction and development. The story flows nicely and doesn't bog itself down, while still introducing the characters and setting. I like Allie as a main character. She is intelligent with just the right amount of feisty.

All in all, a great start to a new cozy mystery series! This is Author J.C. Kenney's debut novel! I'm definitely in line for his next book! It won't be a long wait. Book 2 in this series, A Genuine Fix, will be released in July 2019.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment