Friday, January 4, 2019

REVIEW: The Guy Who Died Twice

The Guy Who Died Twice
Author: Lisa Gardner

This is the first story by Lisa Gardner that I've read. I've wanted to read her books for ages. I have two on my TBR shelf, and my library has several more. But with literally thousands of books on my shelves, I just hadn't gotten to her yet. I think every avid reader must have a couple authors that they really really really (really x 10) want to read, but their work never seems to pop up at the top of the TBR list.

Reading this short story has officially moved Lisa Gardner's books to the top of my TBR pile. Immediately.

The Guy Who Died Twice is part of Gardner's Detective D. D. Warren series. I haven't read any of the prior books, but was easily able to get into this story. It's a nice stand alone short story. And definitely a great lead-in for those who haven't read the series....while still being a nice tale for series fans who are waiting on the next book.

In this quick read, Detective D.D. Warren tells the tale of her strangest case to date. A man walks into police headquarters in Boston announcing that he has information on his own murder. The man thinks he is already dead. Even after the detective and others attempt to explain to him that he isn't dead, Adam LaToile refuses to change his story. Strangely enough, a few hours later, LaToile is actually dead. Stabbed. In his own bed.

This story progresses like an Agatha Christie story. Christie is my favorite author, so I was in heaven as the detective arrived to find that a strange cast of suspects were in the house when LaToile met his grisly end. The wife. The doctor. Gardener. Driver. Man servant. Maid. Chef. It's almost like a demented game of Clue. And the tale ends with all the suspects gathered in the library for the reveal. All the Christie vibes had me very, very happy! The ending was unexpected and darkly entertaining.

Loved it! I am heartily sorry now that Lisa Gardner's books have been languishing in my ponderous TBR list for way too long. This series, and anything else by Gardner, is now at the top of my list. I have the first book of this series, Alone, on hold at the library already. :) For those who already love this series, Book 10 -- Never Tell -- will be coming out in February! (And it's on my review TBR)

**I voluntarily read an advance readers copy of this story from Penguin via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment