Wednesday, February 7, 2018

REVIEW: Beignets and Broomsticks

Beignets and Broomsticks
Author: J.R. Ripley

I enjoy the Bird Lover's Mystery series by J.R. Ripley, so when I saw that he had another cozy series, I knew I had to give it a try! Beignets and Broomsticks is the third book in the Maggie Miller Mystery series. I haven't read the other books in the series, but I was easily able to follow the story. So, it's not necessary to start with book 1 in the series.....anyone jumping in at this newest book will be fine.

Maggie Miller runs the Beignet Cafe in Table Rock, AZ. Maggie is trying to make her new business take off.  Unfortunately her competition, Karma Koffee, is right across the street. Brainstorming for menu additions to bring in customers, she's purchased a used Belgian waffle maker and even an espresso machine. And because it's October, she adds a pumpkin spice beignet to the menu. On Halloween night, she decides to take leftover candy and beignets to Nancy Alverson, a loyal customer who lives in an apartment above Karma Koffee. Imagine her surprise when she not only sees a local woman running from the building, but discovers Nancy dead in her apartment. The woman has been strangled to death with a cashmere scarf. Maggie is also shocked to find Nancy's apartment filled with books on witchcraft and the occult. Turns out, Nancy was in over head, writing an expose on a strange occult group, The Sacred Church of Witchkraft, located on the edge of town. Was Nancy silenced before she could print her expose? Or is there more to the story? Maggie will not be satisfied until she knows the truth!

This story was a fun, entertaining read! The characters are quirky and the Halloween-theme plot was great! I like Maggie as a main character.....she a bit neurotic and flighty at times, but intelligent as well. The mystery is engaging and moves at a nice pace with plenty of twists and suspects. The strange witchcraft angle was perfect for the Halloween theme. I also love the front cover art!!

I have to admit a bit sheepishly that when I started reading I had no clue what a beignet is. I looked it up and found out it's a fried dough pastry that's a traditional treat from New Orleans. There is a French Quarter Beignets recipe on Foodnetwork.com for anybody who wants to try making them! Sounds yummy!!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/french-quarter-beignets-recipe-2014039


Definitely another winning cozy series from J.R. Ripley (a pseudonym for author Glenn Meganck). I will definitely be back-tracking to read the first two books in this series!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Severn House via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**





2 comments: