Wednesday, February 28, 2018

REVIEW: Ricochet Joe

Ricochet Joe
Author: Dean Koontz

Joe Mandel is an average guy. He leads a normal life, has normal friends, a normal family and normal life plans, if wanting to be a writer is normal. He even volunteers to help his comunity. The day he heads out to pick up trash on the side of the road with a local group, Volunteers for a Better Future, turns out to be the last day his life will be normal. The weird feeling he gets about an elderly woman being mugged.....the weird feeling he gets about a business owner being threatened by thugs.......he runs headlong into danger without thinking twice. It's as if he isn't in control of his own body anymore. Because he isn't. And the daughter of the local police chief, Portia Montclair, is there to tell him exactly why his life will never be the same.

This short novella by Dean Koontz is an interesting read -- definitely classic Koontz (supernatural forces, normal people put in supernormal situations, a magical golden retriever, etc). I was curious about the Kindle-In-Motion illustrations and I like most of Koontz's books, so I paged through the ebook while listening to the audiobook version (came along with the kindle ebook). The actionn moves along quickly since it is a shorter story, with a nice building of suspense and some great action. Nice story! I found several other shorter Koontz stories that I think I will read too since this one was enjoyable.

The Kindle-In-Motion illustrations were ok -- they move a bit. It added an interesting depth (comic book or cartoonish artwork though) to the story. I'm definitely going to look to see what other books they have using the animated artwork.....reminds me of an Edgar Allan Poe app I have on my phone where the art moves just like that. It doesn't work on my PC version of the kindle software though....only on my Fire and my iphone. Drat! The Kindle for PC app just sucks....can't load docs on it so I can't read my e-galley review books on my PC and no animations on Kindle-In-Motion. Why?? I'd sure like to see the movement a little larger than on my iphone 6S or my Kindle Fire screen. *rabble rabble complain moan* :) But back to the story I'm supposed to be talking about.....

Great story! Had to laugh when the required Golden Retriever appeared. So Koontz. :) Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment