Saturday, February 10, 2018

REVIEW: The Ghost Notebooks

The Ghost Notebooks
Author: Ben Dolnick

Nick and Heather are tired.....tired of the city, tired of their apartment, tired of their lives. They need a chance of scenery. Heather applies for a job as caretaker at a museum in upstate New York and before they even realize it's really happening they are moving to Hiberia, NY. The museum is dedicated to an obscure and strange philosopher and writer, Edmund Wright. At first, living in the historic house is a nice change for them. They enjoy planning events for school kids, leading tours and walking in the woods. They learn a bit about Wright, the death of his son in an accident, and read some of his writing. Then things start to go wrong.....Heather develops severe insomnia, stops taking her medication, seems distant and upset, and starts hearing voices in the old house. Is the house haunted? Is she losing her mind? Then Heather disappears one day......and Nick's life will never be the same.

After finishing this book I feel a bit like I'm back in college, sitting in the middle of a lecture hall for classic literature class, and the professor has called on me for my interpretation of some famous poem or line from a famously classic book. All eyes turn to me, and I have to admit.....I don't really get it.   I have to be honest and say.....I read this entire book from beginning to end, waiting to see what was going to happen, what the answer was, what was in store for the characters.....and then it was over......and I just feel a bit puzzled and drained. But I think I understand.....this is a slog through the mire that is the human psyche and emotions. Anger, guilt, sadness, confusion, loss, depression, mental illness.....this is not a supernatural tale, but a very natural one. A raw peek into human nature, relationships, mental health and gut-wrenching loss. Sometimes there is no answer.....sometimes there are only questions and hard as hell reality.

The story is well-written and interesting, but a bit too cerebral for me. And I'm unsure if what I take away from this book are the thoughts and feelings that Dolnick meant to inspire. The story builds quietly....and then jumps deep into the abyss that is mental illness, severe anxiety and suicide. Heavy stuff.

I can't fault the book -- it's very well-written. I think the subject matter is just intrinsically uncomfortable. The atmosphere is creepy and the slow build of the story is strange and unsettling. But, that was the effect it was supposed to have on readers.

Powerful story......but strange and uncomfortable.

The author made his point, but I'm still strangely unsure exactly what it was.

It's sort of like that strange prickling feeling you can get in a strange place.....like someone is watching you from just out of your sight....and the only thing you can think of is getting away and going somewhere light and sunny. Haunting and creepy......yet so real and human.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Penguin via First to Read. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment