Saturday, February 24, 2018

REVIEW: More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Author: Alvin Schwartz
Illustrations: Stephen Gammell

The Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz was a favorite of my oldest son when he was younger. We read the stories out loud to each other, and even his friends. We talked about what made a story scary, how to tell a great ghost story and the basics of acting and public speaking. My son is now almost 30 years old and he still remembers these books. Before he left to serve in the Navy, he brought me used copies that matched the ones he owned as a kid. As part of my personal challenge this year to read books off my own shelves and to read more of what I personally enjoy, I am re-reading these books. I'm enjoying the stories, and also thinking about a little boy that grew into a pretty awesome man. As my son is stationed thousands of miles away in Japan and I haven't 'seen him in two years, I can think fondly of him as I read these books that he so thoughtfully brought to me before he left home.

More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is the second book in the series. As in the first book, the tales are gathered from folklore. There is a notes section and list of sources in the back of the book. The 28 stories are accompanied by awesome bizarre artwork by Stephen Gammell. The artwork really makes this book something special. The stories vary from jump scares and scary situations to humor and even a song.

A great collection of kid-friendly horror!!


No comments:

Post a Comment