Monday, February 12, 2018

REVIEW: The Girls in the Picture

The Girls in the Picture
Author: Melanie Benjamin

It seems strange and very intriguing to me that silent movies and the beginnings of the film industry in Los Angeles happened more than 100 years ago. It doesn't seem possible that we are a century away from the old black and white "flickers.''  This book is about the friendship between Actress Mary Pickford, who was touted as America's Sweetheart back in the early days, and Frances Marion, an early screenwriter. Both women were incredibly famous in their day and paved the way for women in the film industry. Both won academy awards for their work. And both are largely forgotten. A century of time can erase all things......unless it's preserved on film.

As I read this book I took breaks and watched Mary Pickford films just to get the feel for what these women created. My favorite is Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, released in 1917. The Screenplay was adapted by Frances Marion from the classic novel and the film stars Mary Pickford and Eugene O'Brien. The film is grainy and silent. The title cards and credits jump and jerk around on the screen. The makeup gives the actors raccoon eyes and a melodramatic look. But.....it was one of the first films with a real plot and for me it's amazing that I can watch a performance that took place over 100 years ago. Long dead actors appearing as young, dedicated performers still, after all these years. Film magic!


I enjoyed this book. I know very little about Mary Pickford except that she was married to Douglas Fairbanks. And I had never heard of Frances Marion before this book. In 1972, Frances Marion wrote a book, "Off With Their Heads,'' about her experiences in Hollywood. She died soon after it was published. After reading The Girls in the Picture, I definitely want to read Marion's book!

Once I started reading I couldn't put this book down. It tells the story of how the movie industry got its start, and about the early lives of two powerful pioneering women in the industry. Mary Pickford was the highest paid actor back then, but paid a price for her fame. The story unfolds to include other notable classic early performers -- Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and more. I learned so much about the early days of film and these two strong women. Great book!! 

Anyone who loves old movies and Old Hollywood tales will love this book!! 

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Random House - Ballentine via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**



No comments:

Post a Comment