Wednesday, March 7, 2018

REVIEW: Chocolate Crunch Murder

Chocolate Crunch Murder
Author: Susan Gillard

Heather is out to eat at a local hamburger joint when she sees one of her employees, Jung, having a fight with the chef, Randy Morton. Jung apologizes to Heather the next day that she had to see him having a fight with someone in public, as it might reflect badly on Heather's business, Donut Delights. But it gets much worse than a yell-fest when Randy is discovered dead in his shop, a doughnut shoved in his mouth and rat droppings all over his white chef's uniform. Jung, unfortunately, is the number one suspect in the killing because of the very public fight he had with the man the day before his death. Heather knows her employee wouldn't kill someone....so she's on the case to prove his innocence.

Chocolate Crunch Murder is the 15th novella in this light cozy mystery series. I like the characters and the doughnut shop theme. Reading all these books involving doughnuts has me really wanting one....I can only have a treat like that once every two weeks due to a very strict diet I follow for medical reasons. My next treat day is in a week......and I've already decided I am having a doughnut. :) I will think fondly of Susan Gillard as I chow down on some major messy chocolate goodness. :) The murder portion of the plot I will just read about though! :)

While this book has some editing issues (a continuing problem with this series and many other self-pub books), the mystery was enjoyable and fast-paced. The ending was a bit strange, and more than slightly creepy, but I imagine most murder cases are strange and creepy. These books are light, entertaining and quick. Perfect for on-the-go reading on trips, while waiting for appointments, etc.

There are 60 novellas in the Donut Hole series, plus a spin-off series, Oceanside Cozy Mysteries.


No comments:

Post a Comment