Thursday, March 8, 2018

REVIEW: Green Velvet Murder

Green Velvet Murder
Author: Susan Gillard

Heather Shepherd cares deeply about her bestie, Amy. That's why she takes almost an instant dislike to Karly Belushi. Karly is the cranky aunt of Amy's boyfriend Kent, and makes no attempt to hide the fact she doesn't like Amy. When Karly comes into Donut Delights with her sister, Bernie, it doesn't take long for the mean woman to start making comments to Amy. Bernie seems to be much nicer and tries to smooth things over, but Karly spouts off and storms out, yelling that they are going to Geoff Lawless' doughnut shop across town. Turns out the Belushi family has moved to town to be closer to Kent. Then suddenly Bernie turns up dead....apparently she choked to death in Delightful Donuts across town, Heather's competition (sort of). Was it a simple case of death by choking on doughnut....or murder?

I find the Geoff Lawless character to be a mix of sad and hilarious. The mental picture of him chasing Heather through the park to ask for help because someone choked to death on one of his concrete-hard fudge balls just about did me in. The poor man is definitely Heather's nemesis. He has been trying for several books to run a doughnut shop of his own....without much success. If his shop and kitchen look as bad as described in the book I am surprised anyone would eat there or that the health department hasn't shut him down. Eww.

Green Velvet Murder is the 16th book in the Donut Hole series. The short mysteries are light cozies....no cussing, no spurting blood, no graphic-ness of any kind.....a nice doughnut shop theme, and a cast of relatively well-developed characters. I like the addition of the little girl, Lilly. She's been in the last several books and is a nice addition to the usual crew. I wonder if down the road Heather and her husband, Ryan, might try adopting her?

For the most part, I enjoyed this story. It was a bit light on the mystery this go-around, but still an enjoyable story. As with most cozy series, I definitely have to suspend reality.  In the real world, if there was a doughnut shop with so many murders occurring in close proximity to the owner, the FBI would be camped outside trying to form a case against the baker-assassin. As it is, with reality comfortably suspended, this is a cute, light cozy series with a bit of chocolate and powdered sugar on top. Just read and enjoy -- no calories.

The cover for this one sports a nice drawing of a green doughnut. I really like the covers that have photos of actual pastries though. Not sure why some are doughnut pictures and others are just drawings. I like the doughnut theme....so many interesting flavors are mentioned in this series. I have decided as my next Friday splurge (I allow myself to have a treat every other Friday), I am going to have a doughnut. All this reading about pastries...I have to have one! :) I will order one doughnut and a large coffee and toast Susan Gillard while I enjoy some sweetness. I am sure Daylight Donuts will not be half as good as a creation from Donut Delights though!

There are 60 novellas in the Donut Hole series, with a spin-off series, Oceanside Cozy Mysteries. I'm going to read them all! Why not? Short, entertaining books....doughnuts with just a sprinkle of murder. It's an enjoyable combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment