Thursday, March 1, 2018

REVIEW: Rhubarb Frosted Murder

Rhubarb Frosted Murder
Author: Susan Gillard

Heather Janke (now Shepherd) has returned from her honeymoon in Italy. She's back to making doughnuts at Donut Delights and enjoying her new married life. She and her new hubby have a double date with her bestie Amy and her boyfriend Kent....but they never make it. When they arrive to pick up Kent, they find him unconscious in his kitchen and tied to a chair. A single rhubarb frosted doughnut sits on a plate in front of him and a note with a lipstick red heart drawn on it. Then Amy starts finding the pink rhubard doughnuts at her house as well.....and one is left on the steps to Heather's house.  Who attacked Kent? Heather goes against her husband's wishes and starts investigating. She wants to solve the case before something happens to Amy!

I like this series for the most part. It's light reading. The mysteries are short and fast-paced. And I like the doughnut shop theme (always makes me hungry though -- rhubarb doughnuts! mmmmmm). This particular story isn't one of my favorites. Some of the character names were silly.....like Jed I. Knight and Dusty Carr. Cute, I guess.....but.....nah.  I just never really connected with this one. The mystery was lack luster for me.  But....the series on the whole is entertaining, light reading.

Rhubarb Frosted Murder is the 10th novella in this series of 60 books. And then there is a spin-off series, Oceanside Cozy Mysteries. I have a lot of reading to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment