Saturday, March 10, 2018

REVIEW: Downward Dog

Downward Dog: Very Serious Haiku
By a Very Serious Dog
Author: Samm Hodges & Phineas Hodges

In 2017 there was a very short lived series on ABC about an adopted rescue dog named Martin. I don't watch a lot of television and the show's run was so short, that I somehow missed it. Seems like a lot of people did. People who are now scrambling to watch the episodes online and wishing they hadn't missed out. And still others were fans of the cute, heart-warming show....before ABC pulled the plug on it after only one season. Their justification? Too expensive to produce.

I hope Netflix or another of the big streaming services picks up the show, or that they make some online videos. They made a video series before the television series was filmed, and about 12 minutes of video was released to promo the television show. You can watch it here:


I love any show with a talking dog. :) So I knew I would also love poetry written by a dog....well written by two television writers who write simulated dog poetry. I would like to think that Martin dictated the poems and the writers jotted it down for him. Kinda hard to type or hold a pen with paws. Yeah...that must be what happened. :)

The cover for this book is sweet and shows the dog from the television series (who was actually adopted from a shelter). The poems and artwork are perfect. I kept looking at my dog Roxie and thinking how almost all of them fit how she might feel sometimes. :)

My favorite is this one:

Winter is Netflix
And a shared blanket we 
both fart under

There is some great artwork by Idil Gozde as well. 



Great, fun book for any dog lover, especially the proud parents of an adopted shelter dog!! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Animal Media Group via NetGalley. All opinions expressed (including this one: SOMEONE PICK UP THE OPTION ON THIS SHOW AND BRING IT BACK!!!!) are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment