Wednesday, November 6, 2019

REVIEW: The Family Upstairs

The Family Upstairs
Author: Lisa Jewell

Wow....this story is completely disturbing, creepy and wonderfully suspenseful! On her 25th birthday, Libby Jones inherits a house in very posh part of London. The mansion is run down and has a sinister reputation. Libby, adopted as a baby, just wants to know her past.....but she discovers that dredging up the past isn't always a good thing. Sometimes you discover....darkness.

This book jumps from past to present, juggles POV and involves several different story lines all interwoven together. Usually all that jumping around pulls me out of a story....but this tale is so dark and strange, that it all just pulled me further in. At first I was a bit confused, but as more and more of the details unfolded, the full picture of events came into focus. Yikes! Double Yikes! I can't imagine what it would be like to be adopted and wonder about your birth parents your entire life.....only to discover really terrible things. How devastating! It made for a great psychological thriller!

Great story! Very psychological. Lots of suspense and dark weirdness. This is the first book by Lisa Jewell that I've read. I'm definitely going to read more!!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment