Tuesday, November 19, 2019

REVIEW: Murder Off the Page

Murder Off the Page
Author: Con Lehane

Murder Off the Page is the 3rd book in the 42nd Street Library Mystery series. Ray Ambler is curator of the NY Public Library's Crime Fiction Collection. Along with his trusty assistant, Adele, he often ends up investigating crimes as well as curating the collection. 

This time, a researcher comes in to use the collection, but it seems she is not who she says she is. The woman doesn't really seem to know how to properly research, but spends days gathering information on a particular writer. Later, they come across the same woman drunk in a bar. A friend of Ray's, Bartender Brian McNulty, seems to know the drunk woman and takes her back to her hotel. Later when a dead body is discovered in the room, the woman and McNulty are nowhere to be found. When the woman herself is killed, McNulty is immediately a suspect. Ray and Adele are on the case to solve two murders and to discover facts about the woman's past, plus prove McNulty is not a killer.

I had to read a couple chapters of this book twice to fully understand the characters. I realize this is because this book is the third in this series.....but the first I have read. I still enjoyed the story very much .... the investigation is complex and interesting! And, it all works into Ambler's specialty -- crime fiction and crime authors. I liked how Lehane worked that into the plot. I think I would have understood the setting and characters a bit better if I had started this series from the beginning. But with careful reading, a reader could jump in at this book and thoroughly enjoy the characters and story.

The mystery unravels at a nice page. There are plenty of clues, side investigations and suspects to keep the plot interesting. Ray and Adele work together perfectly.

I enjoyed this story! I am definitely back-tracking to start this series from the first book. Then I will re-read this one with a better understanding of the characters, the Crime Fiction Collection and past events.

Great book! I'm definitely reading more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a advance review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment