Tuesday, November 5, 2019

REVIEW: Island of Last Resorts

Island of Last Resorts
Author: Mary Ellis

Kate Weller has had some ups and downs in her current relationship, mostly from her own insecurities. She looks forward to having some time with Eric and his family in Charleston. But, an email from her boss at Price Investigations, puts a bit of a bump in the road. Kate and Eric are invited to take part in a week-long retreat for all Price Investigations employees in Georgia. But, unknown to them, the retreat has re-located to an island. The wealthy owner of the island made Kate's boss a deal. It's going to be like a murder mystery party. If the group of investigators can solve the crime presented to them by the island employees, then their stay is free. But, it turns out that there is a lot more at stake than a free week's stay at an island get-away.

Island of Last Resorts is the third book in the Kate Weller series. I haven't read the other books in the series, and I think that would have understood the characters in this story much better if I had read this series in order. I recommend reading these books in order if you are a reader that cares about backstory and character relationships/development. If you are in it for only the investigation and current plot, then jump right in. I was able to enjoy this story even without fully understanding the minor characters, the agency and the main character's relationship/backstory.

Although the premise seemed a bit contrived, I still enjoyed this story. There were plenty of suspects and some interesting investigation to figure out the motivation for not only the weird island weekend but also the original crime. Interesting premise and setting. Well written and kept my attention throughout.

This is the first book by Mary Ellis that I've read. I will definitely be reading more of her books. This was an entertaining story!

**I voluntarily read an advanced review copy of this book from Severn House via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment