Tuesday, November 26, 2019

REVIEW: Murder She Wrote - A Time For Murder

Murder She Wrote: A Time For Murder
Author: Jon Land (and Jessica Fletcher, of course)

I absolutely loved Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote. I watched the show every week when it was on television and still re-watch the series today. I love the characters, the setting and the cozy-ness of the series. No spurting blood.....no graphic sex or violence. Just an author sleuthing out killers with grace and skill.

A Time For Murder is the 50th Murder She Wrote novel.....so lots of people still enjoy Jessica Fletcher! I've read several of the MSW books, by Donald Bain...and after his death, Jon Land. While I wish that Angela Lansbury had come back to do a couple MSW movies, or even a new series, it's really too late now (and NOBODY ELSE could play Jessica Fletcher like her! If they put on a new series with someone else in the part, I completely refuse to watch it. Nope. Nope. Double nope. Triple dog Nope.), so I love the fact that I can get new Jessica Fletcher mysteries in these books with a smiling lovely Angela Lansbury on the cover!It makes this cozy mystery fan happy in her soul. A cup of coffee, my chihuahua curled up next to me, and Jessica Fletcher finding yet another murder to investigate! Perfect evening!

This time around, Jessica flashes back to her first ever murder investigation....the mysterious death of a high school principal.....as she returns to the high school to celebrate a friend's retirement decades later. When the friend ends up dead, there are links to that very first case.

I love the fact this story flashes back to Jessica's life when she was first married to her husband, Frank. It was nice having the two eras of her life come together....her married life....and her later life as an author and widow. The mystery moved at a nice pace, had all the characters I love....and Jessica still is a dead body magnet and skilled amateur sleuth.  I do see the differences in Land's portrayal of the characters and Donald Bain's vision.  The plots of Land's books are a bit more complex....and Jessica is just a bit different. A bit more snarky maybe? But.....anytime another author takes over a beloved character, there are going to be differences. I still enjoy the stories....and I'm willing to accept a bit edgier Jessica Fletcher. The more complex plots are actually nice. I think the extra snark and harder hitting Jessica is necessary now that she's solving cases with a bit more to them. So, I'm ok with the Land vision of the character. I can always visit the more grandmother-ly Jessica by watching the old show, or reading a Bain novel.

Love, love, love, love Jessica Fletcher! Full stars to this book just because I'm a huge fan of the series! I'm always up for a visit with Jessica!

**I voluntarily read an advance review copy of this book from Berkley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

1 comment:

  1. Loved your review, Juli! Not all hardcore fans of MURDER, SHE WROTE have greeted my take on the series with an open mind as you have, and I'm so glad you enjoy my admittedly "edgier" approach. It's interesting so many people have used the word "snarky,"or something similar, for what I would consider quick-witted, especially when Jessica's encountering a potential adversary. I want to make her appear as the strong, independent woman she is but sometimes I guess I go a bit too far. Thanks again for taking the time to read and review!

    ReplyDelete