Friday, November 22, 2019

REVIEW: The Terror

The Terror
Author: Dan Simmons

I did not realize how heavily abridged this audio book is, until I finished listening. The unabridged performances are more than 28 hours long.....and this abridged version is about 9. So I missed a lot of the story. I will re-visit this novel at a later date to get all the details I missed. For now, the television show and this abridged audio book will have to do.

Great story! I love how Dan Simmons took a real historical event -- the 1845 Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage -- and added awesome horror elements to create a truly terrifying tale of an expedition gone horribly wrong. The truth was horrible enough -- an entire expedition lost and only buried remains found -- but Simmons version adds a supernatural/monster element that enhances the cold, brutal truth.

I was very disappointed to discover that I missed out on 2/3 of the story. I will rectify that by reading the novel as soon as I pare a few books off the top of my TBR pile. In 2020, I shall put this to rights!

This is the first book I've read by Dan Simmons. I have read one short story, included in Flight or Fright. I will definitely be reading more of his work -- this story was truly chilling and entertaining! After the first of the year, I'm going to read the entire novel since the audio book cut out so much of the story. I want the entire icy horrifying tale! And I want to re-watch the AMC series. It is really well done and worth watching.

Great book! I love supernatural/monster horror stories! This is one of the best I've enjoyed in a long time!


No comments:

Post a Comment