Monday, November 11, 2019

REVIEW: The Twenty Ninth Day

The Twenty-Ninth Day
Author: Alex Messenger

This book recounts the true story of the author's trip through the Canadian wilderness at 17. Alex Messenger spent summers  and winter breaks trekking through the wilderness building up to this longest and most remote trek available from Camp Menogyn. 42 days of hiking, canoeing, portaging.....sleeping, eating and living in the wilderness with five other teens. 42 days of wild rivers, lakes, and forest. Fresh air and freedom. A 17 year old boy's dream. Until.....

......the grizzly bear.

I love adventure stories, especially those set in remote wilderness areas. This book was such an exciting and enjoyable read. It grabbed my attention immediately and held it throughout. I can't imagine what I would do if I was badly mauled by a grizzly bear far away from a hospital or any assistance other than a group of friends. These boys wanted an adventure....and they got much more than they bargained for. It definitely proves wilderness is beautiful....but also very dangerous and unpredictable.

This is an incredible story of strength in incredibly dangerous circumstances. Great book!

**I voluntarily read an advance review copy of this book from Blackstone Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment