Monday, November 4, 2019

REVIEW: A Marvelous Life

A Marvelous Life: The Amazing Story of Stan Lee
Author: Danny Fingeroth

The introduction to this awesome biography makes an important point. Most people, when asked to name famous comic book creators/writers, would respond, "Stan Lee.'' Because there are very few people who don't know who Stan Lee is (I can't bring myself to use past tense there). And for most people who aren't avid comic book fans, Stan Lee's name is the only one they can come up with. There are other greats (which my husband is introducing me to a bit at a time -- he's been a comic book fan for decades. I'm just now learning.), but Stan Lee was just a force all to himself.

This biography includes interviews, behind-the-scenes stories, background information on Marvel Comics, the characters Stan created, and his life from childhood until his death. I love how the book doesn't just focus on Marvel comics but on the man himself. It gives a full account of his life, experiences, and his writing.

I took my time reading this book. I enjoyed it a little bit at a time. Most of the time I followed up a chapter by reading a comic from my husband's extensive collection or watching a Marvel movie. I will truly miss Lee's cameos in Marvel movies. I always waited with expectation for the cute scene with Lee in it. It always made me smile. I don't remember a single theater experience where the audience didn't clap or show appreciation for the cameos. He will be missed by many.

The author of this book worked with Stan Lee for more than 40 years. And it shows. This biography is well researched, complete and obviously heart-felt. I loved every page!

RIP Stan Lee. Excelsior!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment