Saturday, December 14, 2019

REVIEW: Monster, She Wrote

Monster, She Wrote - The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction
Author: Lisa Kroger

Warning: This book will definitely add many titles to your TBR list! Even if you've read these horror novels before, I guarantee horror lovers will be rushing to read them again after reading the facts shared in this book!

I love a good scary story! Whether it's a gothic supernatural mystery in a dark, dank castle or a crazed killer chasing co-eds, I'm always up for a good scare. This book starts back with the earliest female writers who terrorized their readers up to the more modern ones. A lot of the recommended books I have read before (Frankenstein, Flowers in the Attic, We Have Always Lived in the Castle, etc) and some I have not (The Cipher, The Woman in Black, A Master of Mysteries). Many of the featured authors I was familiar with already...but some are completely new to me. Every recommended book sounds interesting, so I have decided to read at least one book by each of the featured authors starting in January 2020.

The book gives a short biography of each author including facts about their contributions to the horror genre, and also a recommended reading list from each one. I loved how it gave one "if you only read one book by this author....'' recommendation followed by the titles of other works. For some of these authors I have read the top recommended story....but the other titles listed are new to me. So excited to read some of these!!

Awesome book! I am going to have a blast reading through the wonderful writings of all of these talented women. The facts presented were interesting....and the book lists are fantastic!! I am buying a copy of this book for my keeper shelf!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Quirk Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment