Thursday, December 19, 2019

REVIEW: Undead Ultra

Undead Ultra
Author: Camille Picott

I love to run. But....for me....at 50 & being a bit of a chunky monkey, it's more of a jog/wog sort of thing. But I love to join in on local 5Ks and earn my t-shirt. Usually, I am the one in the very back of the pack just ahead of the strollers and elderly women walkers, just smiling and doing my thing. I don't care when I cross the finish line....if my time is under 50 minutes and I cross that finish line, I'm happy! :)

When I came across this series by Camille Picott, I immediately fell in love with the idea of extreme distance runners dealing with the zombie apocalypse. What do you do when the undead want to kill you, the military has all the highways blocked, and your loved ones are 100+ miles away? You gather up supplies, and start running!

The basics: Kate and Federico are long distance runners. They love to run ultramarathons -- 100+ miles over a day or two. Crazy right? Well imagine running twice that distance -- with zombies after you. They do have excellent motivation -- Kate's son is at college 200 miles away when the outbreak occurs and Federico's estranged daughter is on the way. So, they pick out their best running shoes, gather what supplies and food they can carry and head out. Can they make it without hitting the wall....or becoming zombie snacks??

There are two books and a novella in this series so far....with a new book coming out very soon! Picott also writes the Sulan series, a futuristic sci-fi series about a math prodigy who becomes an underground hacker.

Already reading book 2 (Dorm Life) on my way to the new book.....I have to find out how this story ends! I will never be able to run 100+ miles (zombies or no zombies)...so I will just have to live vicariously through these characters and Picott's tales about her running adventures (the author is actually an ultrarunner herself!)


No comments:

Post a Comment