Wednesday, December 25, 2019

REVIEW: Kindness Goes Unpunished

Kindness Goes Unpunished
Author: Craig Johnson

I liked the Longmire television series, but I'm enjoying the books even more! Kindness Goes Unpunished is the 3rd book in the series. Walt and Henry travel to Philadelphia to visit Longmire's daughter, Cady. The trip is supposed to be an enjoyable visit, but things get much more serious when Cady is attacked. As she lies in ICU in a coma, Walt works with the Philadelphia police to find out who hurt his daughter and why. Turns out, it's much more complicated than expected....and dangerous.

I listened to the audio book version of this story. Narrated by George Guidall, the audio is just shy of 9 hours long. I enjoy Guidall's performances. He always does a great job of acting and voicing the characters. Always an entertaining listening experience!

I like the mix of humor and serious investigation in this series. Longmire is a skilled law enforcement officer and Wyoming sheriff. He's just the right mix of folksy and professional. I love the characters....Vic, Henry, Cady, Dog...they all combine to make this a great western cop suspense series. The characters are a bit different than in the television show. Vic is a lot more snarky and foul mouthed in the books. Henry is much more spiritual. Longmire seems a bit older and more rural in the books. This is actually one of those times where I'm glad I watched the television series before reading the books. I think I would have liked the film version less if I had read the characters how Johnson wrote them first. I love how Vic lips off to Longmire in the books and would have missed the higher level of snark. And I would have been disappointed at all the things they removed from Henry's character to tone him down for television. As it is, I can enjoy both without being disappointed.

Another great story in this series! On to the next -- Another Man's Moccasins!

No comments:

Post a Comment