Sunday, December 22, 2019

REVIEW: Mistress of Mellyn

Mistress of  Mellyn
Author: Victoria Holt


For the last two years, one of my main reading goals has been to revisit series and authors that I enjoyed in years past. I've re-read Trixie Belden books, revisited a couple Father Koesler mysteries and Wagons West books plus several other series I loved, enjoyed Agatha Christie, Stephen King and other favorite authors. So just before this year ends, I decided it was time to pay a call on Victoria Holt (aka author Eleanor Hibbert who wrote under multiple pen names including Jean Plaidy and Phillippa Carr. Under Victoria Holt, Hibbert wrote many gothic romance novels.)

I loved these books when I was in high school and college. Dank old castles or mansions. An evildoer in the shadows. A passionate, usually forbidden or otherwise unexpected love affair, and dark danger. Great fun and suspense for a teenage girl to read. I decided to re-read the Victoria Holt novels in order. So Mistress of Mellyn is first. The book was first published in 1960, and has been reprinted many, many times. I don't usually read romance novels these days....so I was curious if I would still enjoy the story. I did! It had been so many years since I last read this book, I didn't remember the characters or the final outcome. So the mystery was enjoyable....and it was mostly suspense with just a splash of romance.

The Basics: This is a Jane Eyre type novel. A penniless woman takes on the job of governess to make her way in the world. What else is there for unmarried women of a certain age to do? She arrives at her post, and finds a bit of gossip/intrigue about the death of the master's wife a year previously. Martha decides to investigate a bit and discovers the truth...putting herself in danger.

This is the usual light, gothic romance fare. The plot is entertaining and suspenseful, but not complex. There are a few passionate clenches, but nothing graphic and the romance doesn't overwhelm the suspense portion of the plot. I guessed at the final outcome and was partly correct/partly wrong, so the ending wasn't completely transparent. But it wasn't a strange surprise out of the blue either.  Well written. Interesting plot. I enjoyed it!

On to the second book published under the Victoria Holt name -- Kirkland Revels! I also have a lot of Jean Plaidy books on my TBR shelves. I have been collecting the Jean Plaidy historical fiction books here and there over the past 10 years or so trying to get full series so I could read them. I think in 2020, I need to get those books all read, and free up several shelves of book space! I think books by Eleanor Hibbert/Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy and all the other pen names for this author are going to be a priority for me in 2020. Such a prolific writer....and I enjoy her story telling! Plus.....I can free up 3 shelves of space by reading all of her books that I own! Goals! :)

I'm glad I decided to revisit these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment