Thursday, December 12, 2019

REVIEW: The Last Kids on Earth

The Last Kids on Earth
Author; Max Brallier

I love monsters...zombies, giants, mutants....doesn't matter what kind. If a story has a monster in it....I'm gonna read it. Even when the book (technically) is written with children in mind, and not 50 year old grandmas. My teenager doesn't even get embarrassed anymore when I leave the library with stuff like "The Goo that Ate My Teacher.''  I can always say I'm checking it out for my grand kids (The closest one lives several states away....but shhhhh...don't tell). In all actuality, there are many, many adults who also enjoy children's books. For me, the stories are wonderful because I can get a favorite genre fix without the heavy themes and more adult situations. I review a lot of adult horror, thriller and suspense novels....and after a really gruesome tale, I just need something more....fun. Something that doesn't weigh me down. That's when I turn to books like this. I call it palate cleansing. Sometimes I just really, really need a fun story about middle school students surviving monsterpocalypse in their tree house. All the trauma of screwed up killer gone.....some nice laughs and smiles. Perfect.

This book is awesome! Seriously. I listened to the audio book version...but I also had the hardback on my TBR shelf. The physical book is full of fun illustrations and caricatures of the characters...it really adds to the humor. But the audio book is a fun experience too. Narrator Robbie Daymond gives a great performance! His voice is PERFECT!! This book would be great in a class room setting to coax reluctant readers or for supplemental reading. Kids who are more visual would love the illustrations in the physical book, and those who respond to a story teller would really enjoy the audio. Lots of action. Funny situations. Plus zombies and monsters. Although the kids are fighting the monsters, the emphasis is on their relationships, problem solving, and the humor. The book is not scary. Even the faint of heart where zombies are concerned could read this book with no nightmares.

The basics: The monsters took over 42 days ago. Jack Sullivan has been hiding out in his tree house ever since. Most people were zombified or evacuated to the west. Slowly Jack builds a group of the Last Kids left....and they hold out against the monsters at their fortified tree house.

Fun book! I will definitely be reading the rest of this series! There are 4 books in the series, with a 5th book -- The Last Kids and the Midnight Blade -- coming out in September 2019. I have also heard that Netflix is going to do an original series based on the books (Publishers: could you maybe STOP putting huge white and red stickers on the front covers of books about upcoming film versions? It really messes up the cover art -- stick in a postcard ad, or wrap the book in plastic wrap with the sticker attached, or use a REMOVABLE sticker if you really must plonk it right in the middle of the artwork! Glad you are venturing forth into Netflix/other film versions.....but I hate stickers on my books....sticky spots were they were removed....or torn/damaged covers from trying to remove a permanent huge white and red sticker from the front of my book!) I will definitely watch the Netflix series! :) The first season of the animated show will premiere on Netflix September 17th, 2019!!

I highly recommend this book. The story is FUN! It made me smile and even laugh out loud, totally erasing the dark fog in my brain following a review of a pretty heavy adult thriller. On to the next book in the series -- The Last Kids on Earth and the Zombie Parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment