Monday, December 9, 2019

REVIEW: Seeds of Deception

Seeds of Deception
Author: Linda Castillo

Seeds of Deception is a novella in the Kate Burkholder series. This story is a prequel to events depicted in book 5, Her Last Breath. The story is set back when Kate was 14 years old and still living as Amish. Her best friend Mattie is a little bit wild and not a bit afraid to break rules. She tends to drag Kate right along with her. But....a line is crossed, and Kate will have to decide between telling a lie to protect a friend or telling the truth. What she learns about herself will be the foundation for her becoming a police officer later.

I enjoy this series and plan to read every book and novella. I liked this story despite the fact I didn't feel it really added anything to the series. The events were explained in book 5. This short prequel tale did flesh things out a bit more, but it isn't something that has to be read to enjoy the series or understand the characters. Seeds of Deception is listed at book 7.5 in the series reading order. I enjoyed the quick read before jumping into book 8, Among the Wicked.

I listened to the audiobook version of this story. The waiting list for the ebook or audio at my local library was incredibly long....so I clicked on over to Audible and bought it. No sense waiting months when I can spend less than $2 and just buy it. I did smile at the thought that so many people are enjoying Castillo's books.....but a 9-month waiting list? At what point should a library buy a second copy? I'm relatively patient...but not that patient. lol. But I digress....   The audio is 1.5 hours long and narrated by Kathleen McInerney. McInerney reads at a nice, even pace and gives a great performance. An overall enjoyable listening experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment