Monday, August 19, 2019

REVIEW: The Boxcar Children

The Boxcar Children
Author: Gertrude Chandler Warner

I have always heard such good things about this children's series...but never took the time to read any of the books. This year I decided to make a concentrated effort to revisit favorite books/series that I love and to finally read books I've always wanted to read. This series made the list. I'm so glad I took the time finally to enjoy this sweet story! I enjoyed it enough to read more!

The Boxcar Children series was originally started in the 1920's. Gertrude Chandler Warner was a first grade teacher, and wanted to write an adventure story for young children. This first book was originally published in 1924, but revised, edited and re-released in 1942. Warner added 18 more books to the series, starting with Surprise Island in 1949. More than 132 books were added to the series by other authors, as well as a couple spin off series. I can understand why -- this adventure story is sweet, engaging and fun to read. I'm 50 years old, and still loved this tale of four children who want to stay together at all costs after the loss of their parents.

This first story introduces Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny.  After being orphaned, they are roaming and working to survive as a family. They have a grandfather, but they are afraid of him. They find an abandoned boxcar near a town and make it their home. They trust very few people because they are afraid of being sent to an orphanage and split up. They have quite the adventure! Great story for kids and adults!

I listened to the audio book version of this story (Oasis Audio). Narrated by Aimee Lilly, the audio is just under 2 hours long. Lilly reads at a nice, steady pace and has a pleasant voice. She gave a great performance. This audio would be fun and interesting for both kids and adults.

I'm definitely going to keep reading this series. It's happy, innocent and enjoyable. Sometimes I need a "feel good'' story, even if it was written for young children. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment