Wednesday, August 14, 2019

REVIEW: Ross Poldark

Ross Poldark
Author: Winston Graham

Captain Ross Poldark comes home to Cornwall after fighting for the British in the Revolutionary War. He has been dreaming of coming home...but everything has gone wrong. The woman he loves is marrying his cousin. His father is dead. The family home and lands are a rundown mess. But Ross is not a man to be defeated. He starts working to repair the house, plans to go into copper mining, and builds a new life for himself.

I have known about this book series for years and saw many commercials for the PBS series, plus the new series on Amazon. The concept sounded interesting, but I just never took the time to try the books or watch the shows. I saw several of the later books available for review...and decided it was time to finally jump in and discover the Poldark family for myself. I'm glad I did! The story and characters are engaging and interesting. The story had a bit more romance than I usually like, but it didn't over power the rest of the plot.

There are 12 books in The Poldark Saga. I enjoyed this first tale about Ross Poldark enough to read more in the series. It might take me awhile to work my way through all 12 books....but I will over time. And, now that I've read book 1, I can watch at least most of season 1 of the show. :) I will watch until I catch up with the book....then pause long enough to read book 2, Demelza.

I listened to the audio book version of this story. Narrated by Oliver Hembrough, the audio is just under 14.5 hours long. Hembrough reads at a steady pace and gives a good performance. A nice listening experience! I can tell people are enjoying this series and the television show. I tried to check out book 2 on audio from the library --- and the waiting list is 6 months long! Yikes! lol. Only had to wait a week for the ebook (they have many copies of that version)....so moving on to book 2! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment