Saturday, August 3, 2019

REVIEW: The Curse of the Blue Scarab

The Curse of the Blue Scarab
Author: Josh Lanyon

I am a fan of literary mash-ups ever since I read Pride and Predjudice....and Zombies. When I saw this book by Josh Lanyon and realized it was a mashup of The Mummy by Riccardo Stephens....I just had to read it! I'm a HUGE fan of classic monster stories...and I haven't read anything by Josh Lanyon. A classic mashup....and discovering a new-to-me author! Woot!

Not only am I new to Josh Lanyon's writing....but this is the first time I've read a book with M/M romance. Lanyon has written more than 60 books...action, adventure, mystery, all with M/M romantic subplots. I don't usually read romance novels of any sort....just not my thing. But mix in the Mummy....and let the main character have some romantic emotions come into play all while trying to escape a classic monster....yeah, I'm in.

**If you are not one to enjoy a LGBTQIA story.....then pass this by. For those who do enjoy them, don't expect graphic love scenes or a sex-filled subplot. That isn't what this book is about. It's a mashup of a classic monster tale written in 1912. Lanyon just added a bit of romantic tension, plus some mashings from a couple other books on opium addiction. The Mummy is a well-written classic book, but the style is antiquated when compared to more modern writing. Be aware the style and writing in the original book has been preserved. I saw several reviews that complained about the "flowery language,'' slow moving plot, differences between the writing in this book and in Lanyon's other books, etc etc etc. I think those readers/reviewers didn't understand that Lanyon was adding elements to the text of a book written in 1912. This story is a MASHUP....that means Lanyon took the text of the classic book and added elements. The language, writing style, main plot and basics are all more than 100 years old. Keep that in mind when reading. I find it awesome that Lanyon tackled such a project -- skillfully, I might add!**

All in all, I enjoyed this book! And I bought an ebook copy of the original book by Stephens. At first it was just to compare this book with the original, but I got pulled into the story and ended up reading both versions. Great monster story!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from JustJoshin Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment