Saturday, August 17, 2019

REVIEW: The Perfect Wife

The Perfect Wife
Author: JP Delaney

Holy cow! This story is....disturbing.... yet mesmerizing. I know other reviews and even the book blurb spoil the story a little bit....but I'm not going to say a word. It's best to enjoy this story with no prior knowledge. If you haven't read anything about this book.....don't. Get a copy and read....don't read other people's opinions, summaries, or blurbs. Just pick up this book and let JP Delaney traumatize you. Seriously.....it's quite the psychological roller coaster!

After reading Delaney's Believe Me in 2018, I knew I was going to enjoy this book. I just didn't realize the emotions and questions this story was going to elicit in me. As a mom, portions of the plot were rough for me...but I had to know what happened! Not an easy tale to read, but a very very enjoyable one! I'm still thinking over the ramifications of several plot points were they to happen in real life.... Any story that leaves me thinking deep thoughts deserves full stars from me!

I had an egalley of this book, but I chose to listen to the audio book version. I'm glad I did....having this story read to me as I puttered about my daily Mom-chores made the plot hit home even more with me. Several great voice actors narrate the audio book. I love it when audio versions use full casts! It made for a very enjoyable listening experience. The audio book (Penguin Random House Audio Publishing) is almost 11 hours long. I whizzed through it in one day ..... I couldn't stop listening! I listened while working in the yard and garden. I listened while folding laundry. I listened while cooking dinner. I listened in the car. I had an earbud in while grocery shopping. This story just sucked me in and I had to know what happened next! It has been a long time since I binge listened to an audio book. While the story was emotionally difficult for me in places, it was awesome!

JP Delaney is quickly becoming one of my favorite suspense authors. This story is different, creative and complex. I didn't see the end coming until it smacked me in the face. I love it when that happens!

**I voluntarily received an advance readers copy of this book from Random House via NetGalley, although I chose to listen to the audio version from my local library instead. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment