Wednesday, August 21, 2019

REVIEW: Manga Classics - Great Expectations

Manga Classics - Great Expectations

I have always been a big fan of Dickens. In fact, my favorite book is A Christmas Carol. But, his larger works can be quite dark and depressing. Dickens lived through some rough times in his childhood and it certainly colored his writing. The first time I read Great Expectations, I remember thinking to myself about how absolutely F'd up every single character is.....there isn't a single character that doesn't have some darkness or flaw that puts a damper on their entire life. Even if they are just fictional creations, it's difficult to read through a story that shows so clearly how harsh human nature, the world, and society can be. I had to read Great Expectations twice during my school years....and never touched the book again. Too depressing. Too real.

But then I saw this manga version of the classic story. I decided to give Pip another visit. I'm glad I did. This manga classic follows the basics of the story closely enough, but it seemed somehow less depressing accompanied by manga-style artwork. I liked how the manga version ends....it seems to fit even how Dickens felt about the story himself.

The story is still intense, but I enjoyed this slightly condensed version much better than the original novel.

The adaptation of the story is good...the artwork is wonderful! I'm glad I read this version, even if the original story is not one of my favorites.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Udon Entertainment via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment