Thursday, August 22, 2019

REVIEW: Manga Classics - Jane Eyre

Manga Classics - Jane Eyre

For me, there is just something refreshing about classics revisited Manga style. Japanese style art flowing across the pages....reading right to left....    It's still the favorite classic tale I know and love. The Manga adaptation just gives a new feel to an old, favorite story. 

I've read Jane Eyre probably 50 times. It's one of those stories I can re-read often, but still enjoy. And I loved the Manga Classic version! It follows the book closely, including illustrating most, if not all, of my favorite lines from the book. The artwork is awesome! From Pilot (Rochester's faithful dog) to Mrs. Fairfax, I liked the appearance of all the minor characters. As for major characters....Jane Eyre had a sweet face and Rochester was drawn with just the right amount of brooding darkness. The pages depicting Rochester's hidden, terrible secret as well as other important plot points were perfect!



I am always skeptical of adaptations. I have dnf'd many, many supposed continuations of favorite classic stories or re-tellings/adaptations because they just didn't stay true to my favorite classic stories. I am picky. But I have yet to be disappointed by Manga Classics. The story is always well depicted. The art is awesome each time. It's an enjoyable reading experience for me. I don't find myself frowning about weird plot changes, or missing characters/dialog. For the most part, they stick to the original...just condensing it a bit and illustrating the story. Love it! I'm ordering copies for my keeper shelf!

I thoroughly enjoyed this manga version of Jane Eyre!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Udon Entertainment via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment