Saturday, August 10, 2019

REVIEW: Mrs. Morris and the Ghost

Mrs. Morris and the Ghost
Author: Traci Wilton

I love ghost stories. Always have. When I first read the blurb for this book, I knew I would enjoy the story. And I did! For me, this book was a mix of nostalgia for favorite haunting tales like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and my love for cozy mysteries with a ghostly theme.

The basics: Charlene Morris relocates to Salem, MA after her husband's death. She just couldn't stand living in the house and city where she and her husband had been happy for so many years. So, she bought a large estate in Salem with the intent of opening a bed and breakfast. Charlene doesn't have much time to get the house set up because it's almost Halloween, and that would be a perfect time to debut a new B&B in Salem. As she busies herself with hiring contractors to paint, buying furniture for the bedrooms and readying herself to start taking reservations, she notices something strange about the house. It seems she isn't alone. She left the ghosts of her past behind in Chicago only to trade them for a real ghost in a large house in Salem. To rid herself of the ghost, Charlene finds herself investigating a death. Was it a natural death....or something much more sinister?

I loved this story! A second book in this series, Mrs. Morris and the Witch, is scheduled to come out in April, 2020. I will definitely be reading the next book! The ghost situation and mystery moved along at a nice pace, with plenty of suspense, quirky local characters and suspects. I like the characters....although I do get a sneaking suspicion there might be a love triangle of sorts ahead in this story line. I hope not....that particular plot device is over-used in cozies. Charlene is an intelligent, strong and interesting main character. She's trying to put her life back together while working through grief. I'm anxious to see how she is going to work through owning a haunted B&B. I think in Salem that would be a positive thing for a tourist based business! I can't wait to see how the ongoing plot and characters develop in this series!

Very enjoyable cozy! I'm definitely going to be reading more by this new author!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment