Sunday, August 18, 2019

REVIEW: The Mystery at Lilac Inn

The Mystery at Lilac Inn
Author: Carolyn Keene

The Mystery at Lilac Inn is the fourth Nancy Drew Mystery. Originally published in 1930, the book was revised and updated in 1961. The story is a little bit dated, (example - a department store credit card is called a "charge plate'' and snorkeling/free diving is called "skin diving.'') but not enough to hamper my enjoyment of this action-packed story! Although this story follows the usual Nancy Drew suspenseful formula, there is more danger and action in this story than the previous three mysteries. The bad guys really mean business this time!

The Basics: Nancy and her friend Helen travel to the Lilac Inn to visit with their friend Emily, who is soon to be married. Immediately strange things start to happen....their canoe capsizes, thefts occur at the inn, and someone is pretending to be Nancy! Of course, Nancy jumps right into the mystery to help her friend. The case is filled with danger this time and Nancy finds herself in multiple scrapes while sleuthing out the truth.

Great story! I'm enjoying reading my way through this series as an adult. I was about 10 years old or so when I read these books the first time. I'm enjoying them as much at 50 as I did at 10! I do have to smile a bit when Nancy miraculously has exactly what she needs to investigate, or when help shows up just in time to save her from a grisly demise.

I listened to the audio book version of this story. I'm really enjoying the audio books from Books on Tape via my local library. There are sound effects and music added at appropriate spots in the story to build suspense. Makes it fun! And I can listen to the story while working outside in my yard and garden. At just over 3 hours long, this audio book was a perfect easy listening length. I easily finished it in a day. Laura Linney narrates. Linney has a pleasant voice and reads at a nice pace. All in all, an enjoyable listening experience.

On to the next book in this series -- The Secret of Shadow Ranch!

No comments:

Post a Comment