Monday, August 26, 2019

REVIEW: The Escape Room

The Escape Room
Author: Megan Goldin

Sara Hall landed her dream job at a Wall Street finance firm. There she met heavy hitters Vincent, Jules, Sylvie, and Sam....four finance execs who play a very ruthless game to stay ahead. The salaries, egos, and risks are large. They would do just about anything to stay on top....anything. Ethical or not. When a surprise team building exercise requires them to escape from a sealed elevator, dark secrets are revealed.

This story is intense. I despised most of the characters, as they really were willing to do just about anything to keep their status and positions at the company. It was hard to continue reading as their facades came down, revealing their true nature. Creepy. Suspenseful. Intense. Great read! The story builds slowly mixing flash backs with present time. The slowness got a little bit frustrating for me, until I started to figure out what was coming. Then it made much more sense. Stick with it....it moves slow for awhile, then things speed to the inevitable crash at the end. Boom.

Awesome suspense! Horrible, ruthless characters that I would despise in real life. But they were perfect for the plot of this story!

I'm a bit claustrophobic following being trapped in an elevator for several hours during a power outage when I was a child. That made this particular story a bit more creepy for me. I would not like a team building exercise that involved me being locked in a tiny room....especially an elevator in the dark. Nope. No way. And ruthless assholes trapped in a locked elevator trying to figure out clues....it's not a pleasant scenario.

This is the first book by Megan Goldin that I've read. I will definitely read more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment