Wednesday, August 28, 2019

REVIEW: Manga Classics - The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

I love the works of Edgar Allan Poe. Poe's dark, and sometimes demented, tales of death, madness, and murder are some of the best classic horror tales. I have Poe's works on my keeper shelf in various forms (classic version, illustrated, comic books, etc) and even have a motion graphic novel app on my phone. He is my go-to mood builder for my favorite holiday -- Halloween! I read through his works every fall.

So far, I am very impressed with the Manga Classics I have read. The books stick to the original story for the most part. The tale is just condensed a bit, and illustrated with manga style art. I'm picky about Poe adaptations, but was pleasantly surprised by this book's depictions of several favorites: The Tell Tale Heart, The cask of Amantillado, The Raven, The Mask of the Red Death, and The Fall of the House of Usher. The dark themes of madness, murderous intent, and death were well depicted. The artwork is fantastic!



I'm ordering a copy of this book to add to the Poe section of my keeper shelf! Loved it!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Udon Entertainment via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment