Sunday, October 27, 2019

REVIEW: Between Worlds

Between Worlds: Folktales of Britain and Ireland
Author: Kevin Crossley-Holland
Illustrator: Frances Castle

Folktales are magical portals to the past, passed down from generation to generation. Magical beings, morality lessons, social commentary, legends, tales of heroes, revenge, evil....there's a little bit of everything in folktales. I'm especially fond of tales from Ireland and Britain.....it's in my DNA. Plus it's the perfect time of year to enjoy some old tales of strange, eerie and legendary happenings. And, this book delivers! Great stories! Awesome illustrations!

I read this book slowly, savoring each of the 50 stories. I like to take my time with story collections, even when they are short. I read the stories one at a time and let them soak in....making the book last. I thoroughly enjoyed each story. And I've ordered a physical copy of this book for my keeper shelf. I will be re-reading this one!

The stories are separated by theme -- magic, legends, faeries/little people, passion & love, tricks and ghosts. My favorite tale in the book is King of the Cats. That's been a favorite story of mine for a very long time, and the author did a great job with his version. My favorite section is of course the ghost story portion. I love ghostly stories, and Kevin Crossley-Holland picked some good ones to include!

A very enjoyable reading experience! This is the first book by Kevin Crossley-Holland that I've read. He's written many books including one about Norse Myths. I'm definitely going to be reading more of his work! The illustrations by Frances Castle in this book are awesome and showcase the folktales perfectly! The book's front cover is perfect as well.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this story collection from Candlewick Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment