Saturday, October 12, 2019

REVIEW: One by One

One by One
Author: D.W. Gillespie

A family buys an old house that needs some love and repair. Their daughter Alice enjoys the new place at first. It's fun to explore and discover things about the old house. But when a child's drawing is found on a wall underneath old wallpaper, the sinister side of the house is revealed.

OMG! This story creeped me the hell out! As mysterious X's started to appear on the drawing, Alice's family starts to disappear...one.....by......one. Such a creepy-cool atmospheric story! I loved it! Yes, that is a lot of exclamation points....but this was a binge read for me, so it earned a few !s. Any book that keeps me up until 3 am reading is a great story....IMHO.

I'm a big fan of this sort of horror. Atmospheric.....a creepy old house with evil lurking. Innocent characters....a family who just wants a fixer-upper to turn into a happy home. And some slow burn suspense. Nicely done!

This is the second book I've read by D.W. Gillespie. I enjoyed The Toy Thief as well. Definitely looking forward to more by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Flame Tree Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment